05 Solar Hybrid Home Plans
05 SOLAR HYBRID HOME PLANS
This hybrid makes use of both passive solar and active solar systems.
- Favourable building orientation on site, with the greenhouse facing south, whereby its heat flows into eco-house interior simply by opening the sliding doors;
- A compact, double-storied plan, that can be further subdivided into separate temperature zones, and heat storage, a large utility room, and garage in the basement, thus reducing the energy requirement significantly in northern climates;
- A fireplace used in conjunction with other solar heating solutions, located on centralised interior wall;
- All windows are double-glazed, with the possibilities of "beadwall" system inclusion;
- Increased wall and roof insulation reducing heat loss in typical construction, the "breathing walls" naturally diffusing air and water between the interior and exterior, thus acting as the "third skin", built of concrete form made from mineralised wood chips and portland cement, giving for walls that are healthy, environmental, durable, easy to construct, and cost-effective; eco-friendly roof tiles made of recycled materials with Class 4 impact resistance and Class A | Class C fire-rating;
- Reduced air infiltration losses using air locks at points of entry; north-facing roof, pitched at 30°, designed to retain snow build-up and acting as insulation during the winter;
- Water-saving toilet seats and other water-saving sanitary ware;
- All installations between the lower and upper floors run through a vertical service shaft, accessible for inspection and maintenance by means of access panel;
- Greenhouse based on the "greenhouse effect" principle to trap sun rays and build up hot air that is further transferred to the Living Room and further into bedrooms on the First Floor using a system of open double-storey spaces; The greenhouse also serves the purpose of a social space and urban farming (growing vegetables and fruit), breeding pets, etc;
- Sun-screening is optional, subject to local latitude;
- The roof facing south ideally pitched at 45° for solar heat collection on latitudes ranging from 30°N to 60°N.
- Solar Domestic Hot Water (SDHW) System provided in the form of Solar Boiler™ state-of-the-art solar water heating appliances;
- Solar collectors installed on south-facing roof to supply domestic hot water and full water quantities required to heat the premises; the heat pump used with the system is entirely powered by the sun and does not pollute;
- Ventilation, Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) and heat recovery from within the eco-house using the Clean Air Furnace system;
- Water heated by the solar collectors also used for System Wall Heating, providing cost-efficient water heating temperature within the walls and cooling during the summer;
- Central Vacuum System (CVS) removing 100% of contracted dust, dirt, mites, pollen and other allergens, then carrying them to a central canister located in the Utility Room, a safe distance away from habitable areas and further improving indoor air quality.
Experience shows that by combining these passive eco-design planning and construction techniques alone, the effect of reducing the total heating energy requirement by about 40% when compared to standard house construction can be achieved.